The Dept of psychiatry at ACMS and BH Delhi Cantt is at the forefront of mental health care. The Department holds theory and practical classes for the undergraduates and regular clinics are held in the Base hospital, psychiatry ward. The Dept has a Post Graduate DNB programme with a dedicated 55 bedded In patient ward and an OPD load of about 2000 patients a month. There is a dedicated deaddiction facility too.
1. The facilities available are
2. In patient and Out patient facility
3. Counseling including marital counseling
4. Deaddiction Group Therapy
5. Yoga/meditation ( a full fledged sarv dharm sthal is available)
5. Rehabilitation programmes – vocational therapy, recreational facilities, gardening,
5. Electroconvulsive therapy ( ECT).
Theory classes are being held for the 8th and 9th term undergraduate students on various topics as per undergraduate syllabus. Classroom demonstrations to students and weekly presentations by interns are done to make the subject easily understandable and interesting. Theory classes are held by the faculty as per scheduled programme in the dept. after noon sessions are exclusively meant for academic activities from 2- 4.30 pm which involve presentations, Clinical case conference and journal clubs.
Guest lectures on relevant topics by deemed faculty from outside are regularly held and is immensely beneficial to the students. The faculty and students are constantly involved with various research projects with an aim to inculcate scientific temper and understanding of basic research in the students early.
1. General awareness programmes for all undergraduates on important issues like drug addiction, sexual harassment, stress management etc. are held periodically.
2. Live demonstration of psychotherapeutic techniques by specialists.
3. Exposure to interventions like Therapeautic narcoanalysis, electroconvulsive therapy and RTMS.
4. Administration of various psychometric tests and scales for disorders like depression, anxiety mania, OCD, schizophrenia etc.
5. Exposure to group therapy, marital discord counseling, family therapy and alcohol anonymous in treatment of drug addiction.